Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Chunky Monkey

So, yesterday when I went to the doctor, I walked in confidently thinking that the doctor was going to say, “Congratulations, you are just one week away from entering the third and final trimester! I’m glad that you’re still alive.” Instead I heard, Aimee, you’re fat.

Okay, so the doctor didn’t say it quite in those terms. What she said was, “It looks like for the last two appointments your weight has spiked. Normally, we like to see a gain of 1 pound per week. You are about 4 lbs over that – total.”

This is what went through Jon’s head, “Man, I’m glad that I’m not the patient. Thanks for taking one for the team, Aim.”

This is what went through my head, “Are you serious? Do you know that I’m pregnant? Do you know that I’ve been sick and lost 6 pounds in the first two months? Maybe I can cut out the donut that I eat for breakfast in the mornings. Did you even look at my history chart before telling me this? Maybe it is true that you gain more on subsequent pregnancies. Is it too late to change doctors to get a second opinion? Maybe I’ll up my workouts from one walk around the lake at my work to two. How many pregnant women actually stay within the ‘averages?’ Okay, so I can forgo the cheese on my baked potato for lunches (but I’m not willing to sacrifice the sour cream.) Are you even supposed to lose weight when you’re pregnant? What am I supposed to do with this info? The once a week ice cream night is definitely out. Why did my doc have to tell me this two weeks before Thanksgiving?”

Jon had to try to do damage control the entire way home from the doctor’s office. He did a pretty good job with his pep talk. Then he dropped me off at home and headed to work. I . . . . worked out. Now my leg hurts and I’m even more hungry than I was before.

Don’t I deserve a break . . . after all, I am pregnant! Hello!!

3 comments:

  1. Aimee, Aimee, Aimee...you are PREGNANT!!! Stop this nonsense. Your doctor is a tool.

    I did NOT grossly over eat during EITHER of my pregnancies and I gained 65 pounds with Zoey and 60 with Colin....yes you read that right!

    I was told for my height and weight 25-35 pounds was my suggested range. I doubled that sucker.

    Enjoy your pregnancy, the weight will come off. Like I said, I gained 65 pounds with Zoey and by her first b-day I was down 80....I lost all 65 preggo pounds plus an additional 15.

    With Colin I gained 60, he is 8 months old now and I am down 50...10 more to go.

    I saw your Halloween pics and you look fantastic. Enjoy being pregnant (at least the part when you are not puking) and next time you are at the doc, walk in with jelly donut on your face and ask if they have a take out menu you can look out while waiting in the office.

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the way....I love the fact that our girls are a few months TO THE DAY apart and that your next baby will be a Feb baby just like my boy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought the post would be about your cute daughter, and I would make a joke about you being the Chunky Monkey, but... looks like the doctor beat me to it.

    I'm already 22 pounds gained and am only 4.5 months along. Even my pregnancy pants are getting tight around the thighs. I will admit though, I've been pretty stagnant and pretty liberal in my eating. After seeing photos from our trip to Hawaii, I'm ready to get back on the healthy pregnancy wagon.

    Best of luck, preggo sister!

    ReplyDelete