Sunday, July 17, 2011

Camping disaster!







As my family expands (with new in-laws) I am quickly realizing that enjoying the same activities together are getting tougher. We all have different ideas on what is "fun" and we are all very expressive of what we like and don't like to do. For Memorial Weekend we headed to Moab to camp. The weather was really not cooperating with winds over 40 miles per hour and some were really struggling. We ended up calling it quits early and heading home bickering with each other for the rest of the long weekend.










Since that time I have pondered how to help everyone enjoy the family activities that are planned. My mom has a good perspective of just throwing ideas out to the group and telling everyone that if they want to go, they can and if they don't want to then they don't have to. In my perfect world, I would like a little more give and take. Just because someone doesn't like something it doesn't mean that activity has to become the stupidest thing and everyone that wants to do it is stupid too. Negativity hurts the group and I'm part of the party poopers many of times.





I'm going to try to accept that others have likes and dislikes that I share the opposite opinion on and I'm going to stretch myself to do things that I may not want to do without complaining about it. Hey, maybe I'll even find some new hobbies! I love ALL my family and am excited to see how I can learn and grow from new perspectives.





No comments:

Post a Comment